Thursday, January 2, 2014

Discovering Chiasms Challenge #1 from John 16


This is the first analysis in the "Discovering Chiasms Challenge" series. See if you can find the chiastic structure in John 16:27-30. (See my article What is a Chiasm? if you are already confused.) Click on "Show Structure" once you have your answer. You will be able to compare your answer with mine:

27 "… because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.
28 I came from the Father and have come into the world, and now I am leaving the world and going to the Father."
29 His disciples said, "Ah, now you are speaking plainly and not using figurative speech!
30 Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God." (John 16:27-30 ESV)


A  You have loved me and have believed that I came from God (v27b)
  B  I came from the Father (v28a)
    C  I have come into the world (v28b)
    C′  I am leaving the world (v28c)
  B′  I am going to the Father (v28d)
A′  Disciples confess their belief that Jesus came from God (v29-30)


Would you consider rating each of these Discovering Chiasms Challenges? Based on the feedback that you provide and that of others, I would like to indicate to others if a quiz is one star (* which means very easy) or up to five stars (***** which means very difficult. Your input in the comment section will be much appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment